Tuesday, January 10, 2012

On a Personal Note: We've got to do this!

I am just starting to process what I learned and was reminded of at the Passion Conference. I know that one session will stick with me for awhile. Francis Chan spoke and if you don't know anything about him, I highly recommend his books Crazy Love and Forgotten God.

Chan told us that recently when he spoke at another conference, someone came up to him afterward and said, "No offense, man, but I could do what you do." When Chan asked him what he meant, the guy responded, "All you do is get up on stage, read some of God's word and say 'guys, we've got to do this!!'"

I love that. Because what other role do any of us have in each others lives but just to remind each other of God's word and the importance of living for God and doing what he says!

Chan gave the example of the part of Luke 14 where Jesus says,

“When you give a dinner or a banquet, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, lest they also invite you in return and you be repaid. 13 But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed,because they cannot repay you. For you will be repaid at the resurrection of the just.”

Chan poked fun at the way that we read Scripture and often say..."well, that isn't really literal" or "what would the original text mean?" or "maybe that's about a heart attitude and not an actual action" and on and on.

But it really doesn't get more simple than knowing God through his word and obeying Him out of love for him.

And how can we know God's word if we aren't reading and meditating on it?

I think I know what my New Year's resolution is...

Here's another Chan clip about a new book he is releasing soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment