Thursday, May 19, 2011

On a Personal Note: The Paralysis of Fear

I am a nervous "flyer". I don't like the thought of my plane going down and any sign of turbulence makes me get sweaty palms. I've had a few bad experiences on planes so that might be partially to blame. One of these experiences included grasping the upper thigh of the male passenger seated next to me in an effort to grab the arm rest. Let's just say the rest of the flight was awkward.
As I flew back with Graham from AZ on Tuesday, I began to think about what fear does. Well, first, it does nothing. It changes nothing and prevents nothing. Second, it robs us of being present in the moment. Third, it distracts us from what is important or true. I began to feel so discouraged about the ways that fear robs joy from me.

I started to try to get Graham to fall asleep on the plane and I began to sing the song "Come Awake" (I know, ironic since I was trying to make him sleep). The words to this song include: "O, Death, where is your sting? O Hell, where is your victory? O Church, come stand in the light. The glory of God has defeated the night"
Wow. Do I really believe that? If I did, how would that lessen the grip of fear in my life?

Below is a clip of songwriter Matt Maher describing the story behind this song.
The next clip is the whole song with the lyrics.
I hope it encourages you towards where freedom from fear resides.






1 comment:

  1. Amomynous...Thank you for such a good message first thing in the morning....a reminder to live my life without fear but of trust in Him who holds all in His hands....fear is the opposite of trust, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete